Friday, June 19, 2015

Making Things Happen a Ripple At A Time...


"The writer, when he is also an artist, is someone who admits what others don’t dare reveal.” 
~Elia Kazan
It's Friday!
 amyoes.com

It's been a busy week of painting, writing, auditioning, all things wedding-related, and now I'm happy to take a breather for a beautiful father's day weekend!
 In The Studio...
 
I've been painting a bit - or more than a "bit" - so much that I had a photographer come to the house to take some more pictures.  My goal is to put together a book of my art, prints and writing.
and finish the last of my inchies...

 Before the photographer came, I had a chance to do a bit more painting...

And draw some inspiration from some real life giants...
Is this not the most amazing looking tree?  It's got one big foot!
This is my favorite point in the summer - it's not too hot, and all the greenery is still as lush as ever.  If you spot any nature eye-candy this weekend - I've got a soft spot for trees - take a picture and pin it to my Show Me Your heART Pinterest Board :)

The Mighty
 
I've just recently learned about the site "The Mighty" - and it's a wonderful collection of writings that all celebrate the human spirit.  For example, this is a great article - 46 secrets of people who live with PTSD.

They also published my article about my father - Why I'm Stressed Out About My Father-Daughter Dance Wedding Song

I was so happy The Mighty published this in time for Father's Day - my dad has really been my hero.

Acting on Life's Detours...
 
This article is especially dear to me and I'm so happy they were able to publish it.  It's my thoughts on "waiting" for life to beginning - an ode to just starting...wherever you are!


An Illness Took Me On An Unexpected Detour, But I Embraced It
Published on The Mighty
’ve spent a lot of time waiting in my life. As a kid, I grew antsy with impatience, waiting until I was older to start dating, to go to the mall unsupervised and to learn how to drive. I counted down the days until I turned 18, giddy at the idea of college and independence at last.

But two weeks after I turned 18, waiting took on an entirely new meaning. An unforeseen blood clot caused my body to go into septic shock, and my life changed forever. Now it was my devoted family who had to wait patiently and lovingly while I recovered from a three-month coma.
When I awoke, I had to wait many months before I could take a breath of outside air once again. I had to wait eight more months before I was discharged from the ICU. Three years passed before I could drink a sip of water or eat a morsel of food again. And it took 27 surgeries before my doctors could create a makeshift digestive system for me.
I became extremely well-versed in patience.

 
But I also learned something far better. Even though my life as I knew it was shattered, I could reassemble the pieces together differently, but beautifully like a mosaic. These imperfect shards of a life I longed to reclaim could create a work of art of even greater impact.



Amy Oestreicher the mighty

A decade has passed since my life took an unexpected detour. It was a messy detour that put most of my life plans on hold. But this detour also turned out to be the richest time in my life. To this day, I’m still healing physically and emotionally. Every morning, I make a new attempt to find who I am and to discover who I am becoming. 
 
If I had waited for life to be perfect or at least for life to go back to how it was, I would have missed out on so many things. I would have never mounted my first solo art show after learning to paint in the hospital. I would have never written a one-woman musical about my life that I’ve performed for three years. And best of all, if I hadn’t had the audacity to set up an online dating profile for myself while still in my hospital gown, on IVs and recovering from a disastrous surgery, I would never be marrying the love of my life next month.
They say that all good things come to those who wait. But why wait? Every day is an opportunity to learn, to grow and to better myself. I love the imperfect twists and turns my life has taken, simply because it has made me into who I am. Yes, it’s been a mess. But bit by bit, I’ve been reassembling my life — different, imperfect, but beautiful all the same.


Before I go...
 Still no card for father's day?  How about 21 Father's Day Cards that are actually funny!

"Words are things. A small drop of ink, falling like dew upon a thought, produces that which makes thousands, perhaps millions, think” ~Byron

Have a great weekend everyone!  Spend it close to those you love...
Stop waiting around and make something happen today - even just a little ripple :)




8 comments:

  1. It is fun to have a productive week. That's awesome that your article about your dad got published in time for father's day. I hope you have a wonderful weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great art! Love your layout! Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on publishing! And thanks for the *ripple* reminder - we can all start a wave!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you've had a full and fun week. And it's delightful to see what art you've been creating. What an incredible journey you've been on and what a gift you are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You send a powerful message...all it takes is one ripple to get things moving in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful art and writing. I write only. You are so talented. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS thanks for linking up with Literacy Musing Mondays. ;)

    ReplyDelete